Skip to main content

My Day

Am having an interesting day. Just had lunch with my sister Emma and it is always nice to meet and share our lives.I try as much as possible to tap from her wisdom.

I got back to the shop and a few minutes later, 2 Somali ladies walked in. They were very excited about our new arrivals but as I said I haven't priced them so I promised to do so soonest and give them a call.

We got talking and am not sure what the lord is telling me or teaching me but we started discussing motherhood, the breast pump and its effects. The lady shared with me the challenge she is facing with her 7month old who won't eat and she doesn't know which foods to give him. Breast milk he loves. Well being a mum to 16month old Samara I shared my experience..she asked me what I started weaning her with,I said baby rice, then porridge from Kirinyaga mills(now how do you explain where Kirinyaga Mills is?)anybody please help me. So I also encouraged her to give paw paw, bananas etc.

I also inquired whether she accesses internet because baby center www.babycenter.com has been a priceless free resource that guides one step by step on a child's growth and development right from inception to toddler age and beyond. Of course emphasizing that each child is an individual and so the mother shouldn't feel guilty or pressure if their child is different from another.

She also asked me whether I know a good pediatrician and I gladly wrote down Dr. Githang'a contacts and I thought, it would be great if we mums would have a database on names and contacts of our kids doctors and gynecologists. So am willing to take the challenge, if you feel compelled you can send me the name, telephone, physical address of your doctors, then I will compile and post for other people to benefit.

Anyways, I remembered that pumpkin is also good for a baby and I wanted to describe it to my new found friend, but how do you describe a pumpkin and then I remembered, I have a physical one in the car. Why it was difficult to explain is because of our different cultures. So I told her that I actually have one and she can pass by the shop after her appointment to see it. So after they left, I went down stairs picked the pumpkin and wondered to myself..am I normal? And I quickly responded yes I am and if she comes back and accepts it,I will give her with instructions on how to cook it for her young one.

After all isn't that what motherhood is? sharing experiences and food stuffs? I recall many times Emma has shown me how to cook food for Samara when she was young, am a first time mum and I didn't know and was glad I had a friend I could call and consult because she was a mother.

You must be wondering whether am in the business of selling pumpkins too because why would I have some in my car? No, I had passed by Uchumi in the morning, I knew there were no groceries at home and I could only go there at 8a.m. before work so that in the evening I just rush home.

So if my new friend comes, I will actually give her the pumpkin and hope that here baby will love it.

So that is my day so far, lets see how it ends.

Comments

Alexander said…
Am happy for you gal.....when u decide to serve, uve got to open your arms....you have been called to teach, instruct and guide those who are coming after you.....that comes with being hospitable and warm remember? Glad you got a chance to affect someones life beyond the business...thats now what we call full time ministry! love you much..

ALEX.
Ems Makuthi said…
and....did they come back...did you have to depart with your little pumkim? .
My friends did not come back but I enjoyed the fact that I could share my little knowledge with them.
Just an update, we spoke with my Somali friend on phone and she said she actually bought the pumpkin.

I wish her well on that journey, its fascinating to see the faces a child makes when they taste new foods.

Popular posts from this blog

Unconditional love

As I went home last yesterday, I heard the song 'In harms way'  by BeBe Winans, Rhett Lawrence, Margaret Bell-Byars. When listening to music, I want to know the lyrics,what the song is communicating and how it applies in my life. This song reminds me of God's unconditional love, even when I do not deserve it, even when I have given up , even when he knows all He knows about me, he doesn't let go of me. That is just amazing. Undying love you've given to me Seen in me things I would never have seen I don't understand why you care so much, it's all a mystery Time and time again I ask myself What have I done to deserve such wealth The price you paid, I could never repay your generosity Chorus: In wanting to save me In order to save the day Because of love you placed yourself In harm's way It's truly beyond me Left without a word to say What kind of love would place itself In harm's way? What kind of love would place itself In harm

11Years On

 Jaden, On November 10th 2012,minutes,turned to hours,to days,months and years.It's been 11 years.I still remember you,the sadness is gone but the love is still there. On October 13th your birthday,I received so much love,gifts,flowers,cake from different people who didn't know how special that day continues to be. I was reminded that despite you not being here with me& us,you remain to be apart of us in a beautiful way. Always loved From mummy

My Journey with Caleb's Family

A friend requested me to share my story on the journey we walked with Caleb's family. So below is a very long blog on that over 1 month. Am not sure what is in store for us ahead but this far it has been God. After our experience with Atrial Septal Defect(ASD) through our daughter Samara, I felt within me a call to look for people to partner with regarding kids with heart issues. So In January this year, I checked the net and bumped into a local NGO. The organization basically deals with kids with heart defects from poor families. I thought it was a noble call and contacted the organization. They were fast to respond and I visited them alone and over the weekend on a Saturday with my family. On the Saturday we went, we met Caleb and his parents. This was end of January and they were discussing with the founder of the organization about how to raise airfare for them to travel to India, first week of February. I held Caleb briefly in my arms and his mum kept saying one day her