Skip to main content

A Lovely Surprise

Sometime back, a friend of mine would remove her mobile phone and we would ask her to hide it because it had been held together with a rubber band. It did not seem to bother her much, for her as long as it worked, it was fine.

Many years later, I think I could now understand where she was coming from. Well, my beloved had bought me a lovely Nokia phone. But having Samara in our lives meant that the phone was not only used to call but found its way severally into her mouth. With time, the phone worked when it pleased and at times would decide it has an invalid sim card within it and hence will not help me communicate. I also had another phone, which was good enough, I could make my basic calls when the other refused to work. But of late it had been an embarrassment to the family, yes am serious.Samara discovered that its back cover was loose and so in front of visitors she would just dismantle it innocently just like another toy and give me the different pieces to return and the game would be repeated.

Why I think I identify with my friend is that, whenever we planned to replace my lovely phones, something more urgent would crop up and the purchase wouldn't happen. We would use the cash for the more urgent issue. Clearly I had settled for what I had, after all they worked.

But last night, after one of those embarrassing moments where your phone drops and all the loose parts fly in all directions, Samara was asked by Alex to give me a paper bag when we got home. Oh, Samara was so intrigued with the contents in the paper bag and delivered the paper bag without the contents but I could see a phone. Immediately I started crying because, I was so touched by Alex's kind gesture and surprise.

He happily demonstrated how to use the phone and Samara was not willing to be left behind. All I could mutter was thank you babe, thank you so much. That was my lovely evening surpise. Thanks hun for having me in mind and for the deep sacrifices you make to ensure we are all presentable even in public.

When I look back at my phone issue, I wonder how many of us have settled for much less in life because we have resigned to fate or think this is my comfort zone or where I am meant to be. But you see, God has greater plans for us and we need to be expectant.May we see beyond the horizons and walk in faith and hope.

So please lets not be like me, let us always strive for better and not settle for less because we deserve much much more as Alex keeps reminding me.

Comments

Ems Makuthi said…
Iko na dstv? I am happy for you girl...nice nice
Thanks Ems, actually it doesn't have DSTV, but it is a touch screen,but do I say(Put a Luo Accent as you read that!!):-).
D said…
What a sweet surprise!

Hehehehe, I can relate to this phone story. I have a phone that's falling apart...okay not at rubber-band stage yet, but many of my colleagues have at one point or the other siad I should get a new one because
(1) the way this one looks, is too embarrassing to carry anywhere – lunch, meetings, boardrooms, whatever. When people come over to my desk for the first time, they’ll give my phone a look, then me, then my phone, then ask ‘Is that your phone?’ with a puzzled look on their faces. Apparently it doesn’t ‘look like me’. Does any phone look like any human being though? Lol.
(2) the say that te ringtones in it are even more embarrassing! It's always on silent in the office - but this once I forgot to put it on silent and it started ringing when I was on the other side of the office. It rang, rang, rang...and it's like my head was very engrossed in what I was doing so it didn't occur to me it was my phone. When it finally did...the whooooooole office was quiet and looking for this strange sound...and there I was...running to pick my phone! The laughter...they've never let me hear the end of it.
(3) It loses network very often and in so many places, can't browse anymore on it, bluetooth doesn't work effectively (no wonder I still use polymorphic ringtones:-)) etc.

But I just don't feel like getting a new phone, and haven't felt like it for the longest time ever...this one works for me just fine. I still like how small, snuggly and portable it is. It has enough scratches already that when I drop it, it separates into multiple parts but I don't get that 'oh no!!!' or 'ouch' feeling you get when your new shiny expensive phone drops. It can survive without being put in a pouch so I don't have to worry about any more scratches it might acquire should I toss it on the desk, kitchen counter, into the depths of my handbag (key scratches, etc). No harm will befall it should I toss it down on the car floor when I'm using it and see the traffic policeman. I also don't feel nervous when using it in town because I don't worry that anyone will steal it even if I forget it in most public places - already tested ;-) The list of positive things to say about my ancient phone is endless. So, a new phone is just not of concern to me right now...in fact the more people talk ill of it, the longer I plan to stick with it! Lol.

Happy for you all the same! Awesome surprise I can imagine!
Dee, I can see you got some clear attachments to the phone and I can identify with most of them.

Yes, I was so grateful for the new one which Samara really likes.In fact now she thinks all phones need to be scrolled and gets confused when she uses her dad's coz she can't figure out the pressing of the buttons.

Popular posts from this blog

Unconditional love

As I went home last yesterday, I heard the song 'In harms way'  by BeBe Winans, Rhett Lawrence, Margaret Bell-Byars. When listening to music, I want to know the lyrics,what the song is communicating and how it applies in my life. This song reminds me of God's unconditional love, even when I do not deserve it, even when I have given up , even when he knows all He knows about me, he doesn't let go of me. That is just amazing. Undying love you've given to me Seen in me things I would never have seen I don't understand why you care so much, it's all a mystery Time and time again I ask myself What have I done to deserve such wealth The price you paid, I could never repay your generosity Chorus: In wanting to save me In order to save the day Because of love you placed yourself In harm's way It's truly beyond me Left without a word to say What kind of love would place itself In harm's way? What kind of love would place itself In harm

11Years On

 Jaden, On November 10th 2012,minutes,turned to hours,to days,months and years.It's been 11 years.I still remember you,the sadness is gone but the love is still there. On October 13th your birthday,I received so much love,gifts,flowers,cake from different people who didn't know how special that day continues to be. I was reminded that despite you not being here with me& us,you remain to be apart of us in a beautiful way. Always loved From mummy

My Journey with Caleb's Family

A friend requested me to share my story on the journey we walked with Caleb's family. So below is a very long blog on that over 1 month. Am not sure what is in store for us ahead but this far it has been God. After our experience with Atrial Septal Defect(ASD) through our daughter Samara, I felt within me a call to look for people to partner with regarding kids with heart issues. So In January this year, I checked the net and bumped into a local NGO. The organization basically deals with kids with heart defects from poor families. I thought it was a noble call and contacted the organization. They were fast to respond and I visited them alone and over the weekend on a Saturday with my family. On the Saturday we went, we met Caleb and his parents. This was end of January and they were discussing with the founder of the organization about how to raise airfare for them to travel to India, first week of February. I held Caleb briefly in my arms and his mum kept saying one day her