Skip to main content

International Business

I studied International Business Administration and majored in marketing while doing my undergraduate. We did Intercultural communication and despite enjoying the class, at the time I wasn't sure where we would apply the lessons learned.

Here I am many years later and really appreciating what was taught. Do you recall learning how different cultures/countries have major differences in their attitudes towards time, business, communication i.e. like some may want to be so close while talking to you, while others prefer to be given space, for others business meetings are punctual while some they are delayed etc.

Anyways, last month we had taken baby girl for surgery in India and just before we left, I got a chance to do some shopping for our kids shop. I was lucky to have a taxi guy take me around and even help translate for me where need be.One store agreed to keep the luggage for us on the basis that someone would collect the boxes and send them to Mumbai on my behalf.

Before we left for India, I had contacted a freight company and they said they would be able to transport our goods via air to Kenya once I had purchased the things. While in India, before doing the shopping, I contacted the same company and they said they were based in Mumbai and we were in Chennai ( its like Mombasa and Nairobi) and hence it would take two days for the goods to be transported by a local transporter from Chennai to Mumbai. It all sounded quite practical. So that Monday morning I did my shopping  confidently  and assured the store that the local transporter would pick the things on Thursday after the Diwali holiday. We were leaving on Thursday for Kenya and I requested the freight company to follow up with the transporter . I was advised at the time the goods would arrive a week later which sounded reasonable.

To cut long story short, its been a month now and I havent received my things. For the past 4 weeks I have been told different stories. Firstly I was cheated that the goods have been collected and are in Mumbai. 2 weeks later my goods had not arrived in Kenya. I called the store and the guy said the goods were still in his shop. So I called the freight guys and was told  the local transporters were not willing to collect the goods from the shop and needed them to be delivered to them before they send them to Mumbai. My contact at the shop said he had been called severally and instructed to send the goods but as we had agreed his role was just to store for us. We tried hooking the freight guys with the taxi guy who had taken me around  but think communication was a big issue and it ended up in anger and the guy would  not pick up their calls. It was so dramatic, the past week, I have been making frantic calls and even asked a friend of mine from India to help out. Thank God for Airtel for real. Its cheaper to call than send a text message.

The good news is that  exactly a month after we left Chennai,yesterday the goods were collected from the shop and hopefully will be delivered to Mumbai and hopefully arrive here on Saturday. At this stage it is wait and see. I kept saying if the same scenario was in Kenya, am not sure anyone would have refused to collect the goods because all you needed to do is charge extra for collection. I would almost guarantee that those goods would have been sent earlier but hey different cultures value business differently and I am learning the hard way. A few years from now I will be smarter I bet and not assume everyone thinks like me.

Comments

Ems Makuthi said…
Pole my dear. But be assured we are looking forward to those goods I pray that they land in your shop and they scatter in a million ways(bought- ASAP) so that you get energized and know that no matter what God reigns.
Amen and amen gal, I am waiting and praying that they arrive safe and get a ready market. In all this, I keep asking what God is teaching me because its always so dramatic for me with imports. The amount of pressure and stress I get is unbelievable.

Popular posts from this blog

Unconditional love

As I went home last yesterday, I heard the song 'In harms way'  by BeBe Winans, Rhett Lawrence, Margaret Bell-Byars. When listening to music, I want to know the lyrics,what the song is communicating and how it applies in my life. This song reminds me of God's unconditional love, even when I do not deserve it, even when I have given up , even when he knows all He knows about me, he doesn't let go of me. That is just amazing. Undying love you've given to me Seen in me things I would never have seen I don't understand why you care so much, it's all a mystery Time and time again I ask myself What have I done to deserve such wealth The price you paid, I could never repay your generosity Chorus: In wanting to save me In order to save the day Because of love you placed yourself In harm's way It's truly beyond me Left without a word to say What kind of love would place itself In harm's way? What kind of love would place itself In harm

11Years On

 Jaden, On November 10th 2012,minutes,turned to hours,to days,months and years.It's been 11 years.I still remember you,the sadness is gone but the love is still there. On October 13th your birthday,I received so much love,gifts,flowers,cake from different people who didn't know how special that day continues to be. I was reminded that despite you not being here with me& us,you remain to be apart of us in a beautiful way. Always loved From mummy

My Journey with Caleb's Family

A friend requested me to share my story on the journey we walked with Caleb's family. So below is a very long blog on that over 1 month. Am not sure what is in store for us ahead but this far it has been God. After our experience with Atrial Septal Defect(ASD) through our daughter Samara, I felt within me a call to look for people to partner with regarding kids with heart issues. So In January this year, I checked the net and bumped into a local NGO. The organization basically deals with kids with heart defects from poor families. I thought it was a noble call and contacted the organization. They were fast to respond and I visited them alone and over the weekend on a Saturday with my family. On the Saturday we went, we met Caleb and his parents. This was end of January and they were discussing with the founder of the organization about how to raise airfare for them to travel to India, first week of February. I held Caleb briefly in my arms and his mum kept saying one day her