Skip to main content

Information Is Power

One thing I have come to appreciate about life is that whatever challenges or issues we go through, they are not for us but for others. I have also appreciated that many people like taking advantage of your ignorance and therefore information is power and I hope that you can learn from me and avoid same mistakes that I did.

Yesterday, I had the privilege of attending free KRA Seminar at 5th Floor Times Tower. The seminar runs from 8.30a.m. to 1p.m.. They educate the common taxpayer be it self employed, company or even non-residents on tax obligations and so when the KRA officers visit you, you know your rights and obligations. The seminars are held monthly and the schedule is normally on the KRA Website.If you can please attend especially if you starting or are in business.

When we finished the seminar, I felt such relief because there are a few people who have been making my life miserable with threats of outrageous penalties that were giving me nightmares. Please note when you register your company, please visit a KRA office or Times Tower Ground floor to know your tax obligations like does your company/business make Kshs 500,000 or less, or between  Kshs 500,000 to 5million? There are taxes for these categories. Are you selling or buying vatable goods? Then despite you making less than 5million per year it is an advantage to pay VAT because you can claim VAT for the goods and services  you purchased.

Oh and if you choose to enrol for VAT, kindly have or budget for an ETR Machine soonest..their prices and sizes range with the size and nature of your business.. Do you have an employee? Or is the director earning a salary..then consider PAYE even if the person is not paid you need to do NIL returns failure of which there are penalities for late submission. Are you a consultant? Maybe you need to know about withholding tax.

For those who are paying interest on mortgage, or contribute to NSSF, or have education  for over 10years and health policies,  or contribute to retirement benefits schemes..then you may have some tax reliefs that you are entitled to as the governement is encouraging people to save for the future.

Most of all, for those who may be threatened with big penalties due to ignorance, you can always write a letter to the commissioner stating that you wer ignorant but now that you know better are seeking to be pardoned and request waiver of the penalties. However be sure to pay the amount of tax due for that month/period as you request to be pardoned. This is one thing those guys who visit your office won't tell you. It made me feel so so much better. One more thing, taxes due are always from the date you registered for that particular tax on the online portal..so let no one cheat you that it is back dated from when you registered your company unless you did both at the same time.

I am no tax expert, far from it, just an innocent Kenyan trying to make a living and what you to be safe. I now feel empowered. I learned all the above yesterday and you can get to know more from KRA website http://www.kra.go.ke/.

Comments

Grace said…
True, tax issues can cause a headache especially when one does not know whether or not they're doing the right thing (and with the threat of penalties!).
Like you mentioned, it helps to attend the KRA clinics. Makes it a lot easier when one has some assurance that they're doing the right thing.
So, yes, let's find the information. It helps, especially when it's from the right sources...
So true Grace, its truly important to go for those KRA clinics..you get to know much more.
Diana Mutitu said…
Interesting piece - I had no idea there were KRA clinics. Thanks for the information.
Anonymous said…
Interesting piece - I had no idea there was such a forum. Thank you for the information, D.

Popular posts from this blog

Unconditional love

As I went home last yesterday, I heard the song 'In harms way'  by BeBe Winans, Rhett Lawrence, Margaret Bell-Byars. When listening to music, I want to know the lyrics,what the song is communicating and how it applies in my life. This song reminds me of God's unconditional love, even when I do not deserve it, even when I have given up , even when he knows all He knows about me, he doesn't let go of me. That is just amazing. Undying love you've given to me Seen in me things I would never have seen I don't understand why you care so much, it's all a mystery Time and time again I ask myself What have I done to deserve such wealth The price you paid, I could never repay your generosity Chorus: In wanting to save me In order to save the day Because of love you placed yourself In harm's way It's truly beyond me Left without a word to say What kind of love would place itself In harm's way? What kind of love would place itself In harm

11Years On

 Jaden, On November 10th 2012,minutes,turned to hours,to days,months and years.It's been 11 years.I still remember you,the sadness is gone but the love is still there. On October 13th your birthday,I received so much love,gifts,flowers,cake from different people who didn't know how special that day continues to be. I was reminded that despite you not being here with me& us,you remain to be apart of us in a beautiful way. Always loved From mummy

My Journey with Caleb's Family

A friend requested me to share my story on the journey we walked with Caleb's family. So below is a very long blog on that over 1 month. Am not sure what is in store for us ahead but this far it has been God. After our experience with Atrial Septal Defect(ASD) through our daughter Samara, I felt within me a call to look for people to partner with regarding kids with heart issues. So In January this year, I checked the net and bumped into a local NGO. The organization basically deals with kids with heart defects from poor families. I thought it was a noble call and contacted the organization. They were fast to respond and I visited them alone and over the weekend on a Saturday with my family. On the Saturday we went, we met Caleb and his parents. This was end of January and they were discussing with the founder of the organization about how to raise airfare for them to travel to India, first week of February. I held Caleb briefly in my arms and his mum kept saying one day her